Welcome! We’re delighted that you’re interested in applying to our undergraduate degree program. Application is a two-track process:
- First you apply to the university using the Common Application
- Then you select the School of Design on CMU's supplemental application, either for the conventional undergraduate degree program or the BXA intercollege degree programs (In either case, you will have to submit a digital portfolio of your work, so we can assess your potential as a designer.)
How to Apply:
Start by filling out your Common Application, and directing it to Carnegie Mellon University. Once you submit to CMU, you will automatically be directed to additional CMU-specific questions. In addition to your essay responses, you can select “Design” as your program of interest. If you're applying for the BXA programs, follow up by visiting the BXA Intercollege Degree Programs Website for further information. Whether you're applying to the School of Design as a conventional Design Major or as a BXA student, most of your admissions materials will go directly to the university admissions office for processing. All of the university admissions requirements can be found here.
About Your Portfolio
As a School of Design applicant, you must submit a digital portfolio by uploading it to CMU’s secure SlideRoom portal (available in October). Please see our guidelines for creating your portfolio. Please do not mail a physical portfolio. Design School faculty members will review your portfolio along with your application and other application materials. If you would like to supplement your portfolio, or have not yet assembled one, you may wish to complete our Design Project. It’s a series of four creative assignments designed to help you demonstrate your design potential.
Presenting Your Portfolio in Person
After you submit your portfolio online, you can schedule an on-campus portfolio review around mid-October. It’s an optional step, but we highly recommend it. An on-campus review will enable you to meet with a member of our faculty for a five-to-ten-minute interview, engage with current students, and tour our facilities. To arrange an on-campus review, you must register online after you receive your Common Application receipt verification.
Dates to Remember
- Online registration opens for on-campus reviews: Mid-October
- All application materials for Early Decision: November 1, 2016 (try to get your first Common App form submitted in early October)
- Review day for Early Decision applicants: November 13, 2016
- Informal critiques for students seeking general portfolio feedback: November 13, 2016
- Online portfolio submission for Early Decision: November 1, 2016
- Common Application for Regular Decision: January 1, 2017
- Online portfolio due by 11:59pm EST on January 15, 2017
- Review days for most applicants (except transfer students or early decision applicants): January 22 and 29, 2017; February 5, 2017
- Review day for transfer students: February 10, 2017
More About Your Application
For more information about application deadlines and portfolio preparation, please see the following pages. If you still have questions, please contact our Undergraduate Program Coordinator, Melissa Cicozi.
For non-design questions about your application, such as concerns about transcripts, scores, or forms, please contact the Office of Admission directly:
Carnegie Mellon Office of Admissions
5000 Forbes Ave
Pittsburgh, PA 15213-3890
Phone: (412) 268-2082
Fax: (412) 268-7838